Square Dancing RV'rs

Saturday, April 16, 2022

What was I thinking?

My son and daughter-in-law decided to move to Texas.  The move included their two kids, Hudson (14) and Quinlee (9) along with my daughter-in-law's dad and my son's step-mom. Plus 5 DOGS - yes this is not a typo!

I had no intention of getting involved in this move.  But, sometimes intentions don't follow actions.  They needed to leave by Sunday, April 3, drive 2000 miles, and arrive at 2:00pm on April 7th to sign the papers on the new house.  Everything had to work like clockwork.

I went to their home on Friday afternoon to help with the packing.  Brian was busy loading the big rental truck.  He soon realized that everything wasn't going to fit in the rental truck and the cargo trailer he had purchased to tow behind their SUV.  Not only were they moving their belongings but also the step-mom's items and daughter-in-law's dad's items.   There was just too much stuff.  Brian came in and sat on the couch and was trying to come up with a solution.  I suggested renting another moving truck and then I could drive their SUV with cargo trailer.  WHAT  WAS I THINKING?  So, yes, another truck was secured and a flight reservation made for me so that I could fly home.

We left at 1:00pm Sunday afternoon - about 5-6 hours later than Brian had intended. He had made reservations at hotels along the way.  Our first night was just beyond Twin Falls, Idaho - about 600 miles.  We arrived about 1am!  We had a girls room (Toddi, Quinlee, and I) and Brian, Hudson, and John were in a boys room.  Did I mention 5 dogs??  They were divided between the two rooms.

The next morning I went down to the lobby for coffee.  Came back with my coffee, had my phone in my hand, used card key to open door and what greeted me was two dogs.  One of the dogs quickly ran out of the room.  I have no idea which dog it was.  It went sniffing down the hall.  I tried to catch up.  But, it was much faster than me.  At the end of the hall there was a stairwell.   Of course, it headed down the stairwell.  Sniffed around at the landing and I thought I had a chance to catch it, but no - it headed on down to the next floor.  We are now on the second floor of the hotel.  At this point, it headed down the hall the other direction.  And, guess what is at the other end of the hall - another stairwell.  Of course, we must go down it.  At this point I am really panicking.  About then my son is coming up that stairwell with one of the dogs and is able to quickly corral it.  Phew- tragedy averted.

Another long day on the road.  We didn't get an early start since we got in so late the night before.  We drove to Farmington, New Mexico - another 600 miles and arrived about 10:30pm.  This was probably the worst driving of the whole trip.  The last part was in the dark on a two lane highway.

Next day - another day on the road - heading to Amarillo, Texas.  It was very windy which was fun driving with the cargo trailer behind me.  We were all so tired - Brian went to Chick Fil-A, Hudson's favorite restaurant and picked us up dinner.  Next morning we were up at 5am so they could make the house mortgage signing.  He thought he could transfer the funds online but because it was more than $100,000 he had to stop in Wichita Falls and find a Chase Bank and do it inside the bank.  Oh, yes - he was driving the big truck and hauling a car trailer. And, Toddi was driving the 15 foot U-haul.

Oh, did I mention 5 DOGS?  We had to stop and walk them,  They made noise every single night and kept us awake.  And, they fought.  The two males fight with each other, the pregnant female fights with everyone.  Toddi's dad, John, rode with me.  We had 3 dogs in the back of the SUV.  Toddi and Quinlee had 1 dog, and Brian and Hudson had 1 dog while traveling.

On Wednesday, we made to to their new home in Forney, Texas.  I picked up food at guess where - yep- Chick-Fil-A.  We started unloading the truck.  We managed to get mattresses into the rooms where we would sleep.  The next day the unloading continued.  Brian was able to hire a couple movers to help unload.  Hudson took a shower and then started yelling he didn't have a towel.  Hmm- he might have thought of that before getting in the shower.

Brian's friend in Atlanta got tickets to the Masters Golf Tournament.  He had a flight at 4:30 from DFW.  My flight was at 6:45 - I thought I would have lots of time to check out the airport.  But, couldn't get through security - turns out I was at the wrong airport.  Toddi had to come back and get me and take me to Love Field.  I had no idea Dallas had two airports.  Brian made the reservation so it's all on him.  It all worked out and I made it home to Wenatchee at midnight.  

Below - Wilson's Arch near Moab, Utah.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home